California Coaster Kings rated many coasters, and although we’re usually not fans of listing/ranking rides or parks, we do create an annual California TOP 50! You might, and likely will, disagree, that’s totally fine! That’s what this TOP 50 is all about! Of the many rides in the state, we selected the 50 we think are best! Here are places 10-1 in the 2015 California TOP 50!
We would like for you to understand that all rides in our TOP 50 went through our own rating/ranking system that created a TOP 50, the way we think the rides are ranked best! By the time the entire TOP 50 has been published, our minds may have changed, because with this much variety and top quality rides in CA, it’s insanely hard to get to a ranking. You might as well say that these 50 are the best rides in CA, no matter which ride will take first place! Other than that; here’s our TOP 50 Part FIVE, or in better words the TOP 10:
- 10. – Scream! – We find Scream! To be one of the more underrated coasters out there, because when you break it down, a forceful B&M floor-less coaster that features seven inversions is a great coaster and Scream! is. Often lost among the other flagship coasters at SFMM, Scream! Still packs a punch with some great elements like its snappy Zero G Roll, a perfectly forced loop, and interlocking corkscrews just to name a few. Although many complain about its setting and rattle, the pros simply outweigh the cons here. Scream! is still certainly worthy of its title.
- 9. – Gold Striker – The essence of a GCI wooden coaster. It’s aggressive pace and line up of elements make it a thrilling ride, not to mention it hasn’t aged a day and so far Goldstriker has stayed butter smooth. The banked turns, many pops of airtime, and the speed at which these maneuvers come at you, make Goldstriker a highlight at California’s Great America, and a world-class coaster.
- 8. – Medusa – With such a perfect sequence of elements and inversions, Medusa is one of B&M’s finer loopers, as they actually made significant improvements on the commonly used Kumba layout, with a straight down drop, the one of a kind Sea Serpent Roll, and a few well placed helices. At a maximum of 4.5 G’s Medusa sure doesn’t meander around either. Combine this with a few unexpected laterals and positives around the ride, and you have one excellent coaster.
- 7. – Goliath – Goliath certainly earns its namesake, as it features a 255 foot drop (largest on any closed circuit coaster in the state) into a 100 foot long underground tunnel. This goes well with another 200+ foot drop, a sustained floater airtime hill, and two absolutely punishing helices that will leave the blood pooling in you’re feet and you desperately trying to raise your arms against the insane and prolonged G forces. Goliath is not only big in size, but also in what it delivers, earning its spot on this list.
- 6. – Xcelerator – From 0-82 mph in 2.3 seconds, Xcelerator features a launch intenser than any coaster in the state. In addition, this ride zooms up 205 ft into the air at a 90 degree angle, and then back down face first towards the earth, after which it hits two over banked turns. Xcelerator’s one of the best launch coasters in the state, and the best at Knott’s Berry Farm.
- 5. – Full Throttle – After the hit-ride Superman Ultimate Flight at SFDK, Full Throttle came along in 2013. Along with a great new interactive ride-plaza, this Premier coaster features three launches (2 forward, 1 backwards), world’s tallest loop, and a ‘special effects tunnel’. Which is the only thing that can be optimized to better the ride! The hang-time in this gigantic loop is simply incredibly. A can’t miss when at Six Flags Magic Mountain.
- 4. – Superman: Ultimate Flight – Superman: Ultimate Flight was the first of its now many sibling around the world. Despite capacity issues, this ride has been continuously cloned and that is because it’s spectacular. From moments of insane ejector airtime, crushing positive G’s, and one of the worlds best hang time filled inversions, it certainly packs a lot into a little bit of time. The three launches that throw you into this beast are all striding in their own way, giving S:UF no wasted track. It is still world class despite its clones, and it is arguably the best coaster at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.
- 3. – Tatsu – The world’s tallest, fastest, and longest Flying Coaster also features the world’s tallest pretzel loop, and is the only Flying Coaster to feature a zero-G-roll! The ride is a terrain hugging master piece that shows you all sides of the park in many different ways. Flying like a dragon, you’ll fly high above the park’s mountainous terrain, and you’ll dive down several times to almost become one with the ground beneath. This exhilarating coaster is a fan favorite at the park, and around the world! Weren’t it for the very close competition in our ranking, Tatsu would have definitely placed 2nd.
- 2. – X2 – Lets be honest, the world’s first fourth dimension coaster is a fantastic title on its own, however the world’s only fifth dimension coaster truly makes this ride Xtreme to the Second Power. The amazing combination of incredible track layout, innovative train design, with inverting seats, a fantastic soundtrack and (the occasional) fire effects… earn this ride the culminating number 2 spot on our top 50 of 2015!
- 1. – Twisted Colossus – Perhaps it’s the eight wonder of the world. Perhaps it’s the craziest air-machine in California (who am I kidding… IT IS the craziest air-machine in the state)… This ride has set Six Flags Magic Mountain apart. The ride is crazy, amazing, filled with air-time, but most importantly… FUN. It’s incredibly FUN, besides the thrilling aspects, the ride is just filled with spectacular entertainment when the trains race. Twisted Colossus is by far the best ride in the state, RMC magic has shown Californians what real air-time is. I’m sure many agree with us, that Twisted Colossus is deserving of the #1 spot on this list. For a full ride review of Twisted Colossus, click here.
We’re currently in the process of acquiring new team-members, click here if you’re interested!
Follow us on our social media for exclusive coverage!